They May Be “Rejects” But We Think They’re Pawfect

To the TSA, these dogs may be considered “rejects” but as pets they are the perfect candidates!

tsa1

The TSA (Transportation Security Administration) explosive detection canines go through a vigorous training course in San Antonio, Texas and then continue to train annually, to keep their noses keen and accurate. These bomb sniffing super dogs are trained in a variety of explosive detection and must be proficient in all categories, including the recognition of specific odors and their ability to continuously alert their handler.

Their handlers are made up of law enforcement officers and transportation security inspectors. They form a close bond with their assigned canine. Once training is complete, both the dog and handler relocate to their assigned position to familiarize themselves with their environment… and smells!

Some pups may not make the cut for a number of reasons. It could be something subtle, but the TSA can’t take any chances when it comes to protecting our airports, terminals, freights, and rail ways from threats both foreign and domestic.

tsa2

Dogs that do not make the cut, or dogs who have been in service with the TSA and are ready for retirement, are made available for adoption and are completely free to a good home. The only catch is: You have to fly to San Antonio, Texas to meet your new best friend. Totally worth it though, right? Yea, we think so too!

TSA Dog Fun Facts:

TSA dogs are used on the state and federal level, serving all forms of transportation where any threat of terrorism could arise. These highly trained canines work as pairs with their human handlers. 68% are law enforcement officers and 32% are transportation security inspectors.

tsa4

Around 250 canines successfully complete the training course every year

The program usually enlists these specific breeds: German Shepherds, Labrador and Golden Retrievers, Belgian Malinois, German Short-haired Pointers, Wirehaired Pointers and Vizslas

Approximately 83% of canines successfully graduate from the program, leaving 17% waiting for forever homes

tsa3

The TSA doesn’t mess around when it comes to our safety so these adorable flunkies may not be the perfect sniffers but they certainly are the perfect cuddle buddies!

The Animal Rescue Site

The Animal Rescue Site is a place where people can help provide food and care to millions of animals in need, both in the U.S. and around the world. In addition to sharing personal rescue stories, shopping for the cause, and signing petitions, visitors can take just a moment each day to click on a purple button to help animals. Visit The Animal Rescue Site and click today - it's free!

Help Rescue Animals

Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free!

Whizzco