With pet food recalls popping up left and right, it’s never been more important to know how to make your own pet food. And when it’s this easy, there’s no reason you can’t make it every week!
Using the slow cooker, you can throw in all your ingredients in the morning, then set it and forget it. You can’t really overcook it either, since it’s fine if it gets a little mushy. Plus, it’s great knowing exactly what you’re feeding your pups, where your ingredients come from, and which nutrients they’re getting.
Free of corn, wheat and soy (the most common dog food allergens), this recipe is ideal for just about any dog. Of course, if your pup has other sensitivities or preferences, this recipe is easy to tweak accordingly.
Dinner doesn’t have to be a chore; 12 Tomatoes provides a wide range of accessible recipes, so that you never fall into a cooking rut. Our recipes are easy to get excited about, knowing you can tackle them confidently, and that you and your family will love the end result. With so many ideas at your fingertips, a delicious meal is only a click away.
Slow Cooker Dog Food
10 minutes active; 3-6 hours inactive to prepare
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, chopped into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- Place ground beef in slow cooker and top with rice, beans, squash, carrots and peas.
- Pour in 4 cups of water, then stir everything together.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3.
- Turn off heat and cool completely before serving.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →