Animal owners should be aware that there has been a recall of pet food by the Food & Drug Administration after it was found that there was to be a batch contaminated with salmonella and listeria.
These bacteria aren’t just dangerous to the pets who might ingest them, but they can also pose a potential risk to pet owners who are serving the food as well.
The potential contamination was first flagged at the Bravo Packing, Inc. located in Carneys Point, NJ. The ground beef that was being used in the Performance Dog raw pet food was recalled over concerns of a possible contamination following a routine FDA inspection which found bacteria samples in the food.
For pets who have ingested the harmful bacteria, symptoms of infection typically include lethargy, diarrhea, bloody stools, fever, or vomiting. Other signs to look out for are decreased appetite, fever, or abdominal pain.
Article continues below
Our Featured Programs
See how we’re making a difference for People, Pets, and the Planet and how you can get involved!
If you suspect that your pet may have come in contact with either of the bacteria then you should immediately get your pet to a veterinarian.
When it comes to pet owners, there is a risk of becoming infected with these bacteria if you’re handling the recalled food without washing your hands and surrounding surfaces. Those who are at the greatest risk of complications or even fatal salmonella infections are young kids, the elderly, or those individuals who are pregnant.
Symptoms of infection to watch out for in humans are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and fever.
If you happen to have any of the recalled products in your home the best thing to do is to throw them away.
The food products come in either two-pound and five-pound bags, and they have been distributed to stores across the nation.
If you have any questions or concerns the best thing to do is call Bravo Packing, Inc. directly at 856-299-1044.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →