Homemade Mint Dog Treats
There is something so calming and rewarding about baking. However, you can only make so many cookies! Why not make your dog a treat instead? The brilliance is not just in the money you save on treats or the sheer fun of baking; these treats will also help get rid of your pup’s doggy breath! This recipe is a sure-fire hit for both dogs and their humans! And with a paw print cookie cutter, the finished treats are as adorable as they are delicious.
Click HERE to order your Paw Print Cookie Cutters!
First and foremost, when making your own dog treats you should consult a vet if you’re unsure about what is OK for your dog to have. Each dog is different, so what’s healthy for one may not be healthy for another. Make sure you know what your dog can and can’t handle, as you can most likely find alternatives that work for your fur baby.
It just takes a few everyday ingredients for these treats, and you’re in business! Your pups will thank you (or just keep loving you forever), and you’ll feel good knowing exactly what went into your dog’s snacks. Win-win!
Mint Dog Treats
Yield: depends on size of cookie cutter
- 2 and ½ cups old-fashion oats (or whole wheat flour if preferred)
- 1 large egg (or ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce if eggs are a no-go for your pup)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup finely chopped, fresh parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped, fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon of dill
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- paw print cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 325º F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place oats into a blender. Pulse them until they reach a flour-like consistency. Then set aside.
- Whisk parsley, mint, egg, water, and oil together in a large bowl.
- Add the oat flour to your mixture and stir until it combines
- Knead the dough (just a few times is perfect), and place the dough onto a floured surface.
- Flatten out the dough using a rolling pin, or your hands, until it is about 1/8-inch thick.
- Using your cookie cutter, cut out you cookies! Typically you’ll have around 40 mints.
- Place mints ¼-inch apart on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving, no matter how much they beg!
Recipe adapted from Skinny Ms.