A sweet two-year-old stray Dachshund was found wandering the streets with remains of fireworks and singed duct tape on her back. Two good samaritans approached the timid dog outside a club in Jersey Village, Texas to try and rescue her.
Laurie and Clint Bergeron were leaving a club on New Year’s Eve when they noticed the abused dog, reports ABC 13. They slowly approached and realized that some monster taped fireworks to the dog’s back and then ignited them. The fireworks were extinguished when the couple found the dog, but some of the duct tape was singed into her fur.
Even though the dog had every right to be afraid of humans, she allowed the couple to pick her up. The couple immediately brought her to Jersey Village Animal Hospital.
“I’ve never seen intentional burns from fireworks like this,” Dr. Emily Stenseng told KHOU11. “It’s just totally heartbreaking.”
Dachshund Rescue of Houston heard about the cruelty and abuse that the dog endured and stepped up to help. The dog was named “Meg Rayburn” after a strong female character on Netflix series “Bloodline.” They took Meg in and covered the costs of her medical treatment.
“As you can see, she suffered injuries from that horrible act of cruelty. She is safe now, in one of our loving foster homes. This is what we do. We help dogs like Meg who have no hope and give them a soft spot to rest their heads. We provide all the vetting and care they need to have the best chance at a new beginning,” posted the rescue to Facebook.
Meg is recovering in a foster home and learning to trust humans again. She is a sweet and loving dog that deserves a family of her own. The rescue has received many applications for her and will decide which will be the best fit once she is fully recovered.
Thank you to everyone involved that rescued Meg and provided her with the care and love she needed.
Andrea Powell is an animal enthusiast that resides in West Michigan. When not writing, she is exploring the great outdoors with her dogs and horses.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →