Getting a new kitty can be exciting, but pet parents often find it hard to name a cat, especially a male cat. You want to choose the right name that fits your cat’s personality and you want to make sure the name will fit your kitty as they grow into an adult cat. Whether you decide on a playful name, an old time name or a strong name, whatever it may be make sure it’s perfect for your kitty.
Choose a Name Based On Your Male Cat’s Personality
In the beginning, kittens are fun and playful so it’s sometimes hard to read their personality. But the more time you spend with your kitty, the more you’ll get to know them and be able to select a name that’s just right. Maybe your male cat is rambunctious or maybe he sleeps all the time. Name your cat based on these personality traits and it’ll fit him for life.
Food Motivated Boy Cat Names
Let’s be honest, new cats love food! There are a lot of name ideas that are food motivated that are likely to fit your piglet of a kitty. Food inspired cat names are so fun. Check out these food inspired names to help name your male cat.
4. Beefy or Beef Cake
10. Olive or Oliver
Playful Boy Cat Names
Boy cats are often playful, especially as kittens. Playful names are always classic and tend to be popular among male cats. Here is some inspiration to help you choose a name for your playful cat.
Celebrity Boy Cat Names
What better way to name your male cat than after your favorite celebrity? If you’re a fan of pop culture or have a favorite actor, maybe naming your cat after a celebrity is the best route to take.
8. Diddy or Puffy
10. Abraham or Abe
Intelligent Boy Cat Names
They say cats are smarter than dogs and maybe that’s true. Many pet owners think their cat is smarter than the average cat and intelligent names are popular male cat names. These names can be classic and contemporary.
Names Inspired by Artists or Songs
If you’re looking for a boy cat name that really has a ring to it, try naming your cat after your favorite song or artist. The world of music is so vast that there are so many original male cat names.
12. The Boss
Orange Boy Cat Names
Tabby cats are just the cutest! Orange cats are so common and it’s hard to find a unique name that isn’t already taken. Here’s a list of unique orange male cat names.
Black Boy Cat Names
Black cats always get a bad rep. But really, they’re one of the most commonly owned cats. That’s why it’s harder to choose black cat names. You want to make sure this name is different from all the other black male cats.
13. Ash or Asher
White Boy Cat Names
When choosing a name for your white boy cat, you don’t have to be basic. There are plenty of original white male cat names that stand out. Does your white cat have blue eyes? Maybe focus on that trait. Does your cat have some other colors on them? Maybe focus on those unique physical traits when naming him.
Grey Male Cat Names
Grey cats can be seen as mysterious and beautiful. Grey cat names can be funny or cute, either way make it unique! Try to name him something that suits him. Here’s a list of some examples of grey cat names.
8. Grise (gray in French)
Tips for Naming a Male Cat or Kitten
There are so many important things to consider when picking a name for your new kitten.
- Make sure your family agrees on the chosen name – Do you have kids? Maybe let them decide on your new pet’s name. Or maybe you and your husband just got this new kitten and you want the name to be something that symbolizes your relationship.
- Easy to pronounce and spell – You’ll definitely want a name that’s easy to spell and pronounce when you call the vet to make your kitten’s appointments. Try not to make the name too technical.
- Make sure the name isn’t offensive – You never want to offend someone with the name you choose, so really think it through before you officially give your kitty a name.
- Choose something that isn’t too common – Think about the other people you know who have animals before you name your new kitten. You want to make sure you don’t copy your friend’s cat’s name or name your kitten the same name as your best friend’s dog. Find a name that isn’t so common.
- Make it match the other names in your house – Consider other names in your household, does this new name fit with your other animals? Do you have a dog too? Maybe you want your male cat’s name to match your dog. Give them the same first letter or make them rhyme.
Funny names are great, but will they stand the test of time? Popular cat names can be good, but you also don’t want your cat to have the same name as everyone else. Hopefully these cat name suggestions give your pet a well thought out name. It’s an important process and it’s a good idea to not rush when picking out the perfect name. After all, it will be their name for life.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →