There is a new honorary firefighter in Georgia after a boy helped save his family during a house fire.
5-year-old Noah Woods was able to rescue both his baby sister and the family dog from a fire at their home. A Facebook post was shared by the Bartow County Fire Department with the news.
Noah was asleep with his 2-year-old sister in their shared bedroom when fire officials say he woke up to smoke and flames.
After jumping out of bed and grabbing his sister, Noah left the room through the only available exit, the open window.
CNN reports that Noah got his sister to safety and then went back in to save the family dog.
After saving his sister and the dog, he went to get help from his uncle next door. They helped wake the rest of the family to rescue them from the blaze.
The Bartow County Fire Department reports that Noah and four other members of his family were treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns. Noah in being credited with saving seven family members that day.
On Friday, Noah will be made an honorary Bartow County Firefighter and given a lifesaving award.
“We’ve seen children alert their families before,” Bartow County Fire Department Chief Dwayne Jamison told CNN. “But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this … that’s pretty extraordinary.”
David Woods, Noah’s grandfather, wrote on a GoFundMe page that the fire started in the children’s bedroom by electrical equipment.
They are hoping to raise funds to help with the loss of property.
“We praise God that we all are safe. Unfortunately, our home was a total loss. Due to a recent lapse in our home insurance, this has made a difficult situation a little worse,” the grandfather wrote on a GoFundMe campaign. “We are planning to rebuild and will likely need to stay in a motel for some time and likely rent a small house while we work to earn funding and build.”
Over $27,000 of the $75,000 goal has been raised so far.
I love to write and it keeps me busy. I've been working online, full time since 1999.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →