Two dogs were trapped inside a burning home in Phoenix, unable to make it out on their own. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they rushed inside to find them while the family anxiously waited outside.
When they got inside, there was heavy smoke and fire coming from the front room and spread throughout the house. The firefighters found both dogs unconscious in a back room and quickly carried them out to safety on the front lawn. They then were thankfully able to resuscitate them using Fido Bags, emergency kits to treat dogs. The kit includes a special oxygen mask for pets, since human masks don’t work correctly on a dog’s face.
The dogs started breathing on their own and then were returned to their owners. Luckily, no one was hurt, and the fire is under investigation.
According to The Fetch Foundation, more than 40,000 family pets die of smoke inhalation each year. The Fido Bag was created by a Glendale firefighter to help lower this statistic. The bag includes pet oxygen masks, burn sheets, bandages, protective restraints, thick protective gloves for the rescuer, and rinsing saline, among many other things.
Growing up, Ashley always had a passion for writing. After receiving her Bachelor's in Journalism from Stony Brook University, she now uses that passion to write about the thing she loves most in this world: animals! When she isn't writing, you can find her curled up on the couch with a kindle in her hands and her Guinea Pigs on her lap.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →