Here’s Exactly What To Do When Your Pet Eats Potentially Dangerous Foods

Dogs love to eat. There’s no way around that fact. But when their nibbling finds its way into an unattended danger, the results can be quite harmful.

It may be impossible to watch over your dog every second of the day, but knowing what to do in an emergency can be just as important as keeping foods that may be dangerous to dogs out of reach.

In every case, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. There is often no better tool than professional advice in such matters, so whether it’s an emergency or just some general questions, don’t hesitate to call your vet. But you can also prepare for the worst-case scenario by boning up on your contingency plans.

Do you know what to do when your dog eats something questionable? Keep this list handy and you’ll always have some guidance.


9. Grapes

There is yet room for more research on grapes and raisins and their toxicity to dogs, but they have been proven deadly, even in small amounts.

According to PetMD, a dog may begin vomiting, acting lethargic, or experiencing diarrhea a few hours after eating grapes or raisins. In the worst-case scenario, oral ulcers, tremors, and seizures may occur, possibly even leading to coma and death.

It is imperative to induce vomiting if you believe your dog has ingested grapes or raisins. If a dog is unconscious, in shock, having trouble breathing, or has already vomited, however, inducing further vomiting is not recommended. Call a veterinarian as soon as possible and await further instruction.


Matthew Russell is a West Michigan native and with a background in journalism, data analysis, cartography and design thinking. He likes to learn new things and solve old problems whenever possible, and enjoys bicycling, going to the dog park, spending time with his daughter, and coffee.
Proper greatergood_ctg_belowcontent