What Happens When a Dog Eats a Walnut?

Lounging in your living room with your dog has got to be one of the reasons why comfort can be found at home. It’s nice to have your beloved pet beside you while watching television or reading a book. Indulging yourself in movies or a television series wouldn’t be complete without food. You pick popcorn, chips, nuts, or ice cream — whatever snack makes the experience more relaxing. However, you must be careful when eating food when your dog is around. They might attempt to take a bite or taste the portion of food that fell on the couch or floor.

Photo: PxHere/MvanderVegt

Chocolates are the most known food that endangers a dog’s life, but nuts are in the same category. If you are munching on walnuts, you must know that sharing the snack with your dog is not safe. Although walnuts are not entirely toxic, it’s still best not to offer them to your dog, as it could have underlying side effects. Walnuts can be harmful to a dog if it’s a black walnut or moldy English walnuts. These walnuts are poisonous to dogs because of something called tremorgenic mycotoxins. It is a substance that leads to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. Aside from that, there is a possibility of seizures and neurological problems.

Photo: Pixabay/congerdesign

Furthermore, human foods rich in fat are health risks for dogs. Once canines consume walnuts, it can upset their stomach and cause digestive problems. If dogs get used to consuming walnuts, a severe health condition such as pancreatitis or gastroenteritis might arise. Also, if you are eating pre-packaged walnuts, you have to be careful around your dog — because these walnuts have additives like salt and other seasonings. You must also note that large walnuts can cause trouble for your small dog. Besides being difficult to digest, large walnuts, with or without a shell, might cause intestinal blockages, and the only solution is surgery.

If the situation is not avoided, you must observe your dog and see if symptoms persist. Once symptoms show, consult your vet right away. Sometimes, signs are not obvious, but it’s still best to bring your dog for a checkup. Vets might include urinalysis and bloodwork to determine if the liver or kidney was affected. Once poisoning is confirmed, the vet will recommend hospitalization — IV fluids are also essential to flush out the toxins from the walnut. Recovery from walnut poisoning usually happens after two to five days, provided the dog was given the proper medication. Ensure that they rest well after undergoing treatments. Stay in touch with your vet until symptoms disappear, especially if you have follow-up questions about aftercare.

Help Rescue Animals

Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free!

Whizzco