A veterinarian has issued a grave warning to dog parents everywhere after an 18-month-old canine died from playing in a kiddie pool.
With temperatures rising, many pet parents are looking for ways to keep their dogs cool and have fun in the sun and they’re turning to water to do so. Many people head to lakes, rivers, beaches, or pools to enjoy the summer months, and oftentimes, they’re accompanied by their furry canine friends.
Allowing your pup to enjoy the water is great, but it’s important to know the warning signs of water intoxication as it can be fatal.
One pet owner learned that the hard way after she lost her 18-month-old dog, Winter. According to Inside Edition, Winter loved to play in the water and it was when he was playing in a kiddie pool that he swallowed a bunch of water.
It seemed like a small thing and nothing to be too concerned about, but it wasn’t long after that Winter got really sick and passed away. According to Inside Edition, he died from water intoxication.
Veterinarian Dr. Lee is warning that pet parents should know the signs of water intoxication to prevent the same fate from happening to their pets.
Dr. Lee noted that water intoxication isn’t common, but it can be fatal so it’s important to keep a close eye out for the warning signs.
According to the American Kennel Club, signs of water intoxication can include the following:
– loss of coordination (including stumbling, falling, or staggering)
– pale gums
– dilated pupils
– glazed eyes
If your dog is experiencing any of those signs or you’re worried about the amount of water they’ve consumed, you should call your vet immediately.
It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →