ALERT: A Common Food Additive is Deadly For Dogs, and it is Showing Up in Their Favorite Treat!Adam Greene
Dog parents are being warned about giving their dogs peanut butter, a ubiquitous treat most of us feed our dogs without thinking. However, with the rise of artificial sweeteners come a serious danger to dogs!
Xylitol, a sugar alcohol derivative used in lieu of sugar, has been showing up in nut butters. While safe for humans, xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar for dogs, sending them into hypoglycemic shock, and possibly lead to liver failure.
The most common nut butter containing xylitol is Nut-N-More, a peanut butter with added protein, chia seeds, and other items to help up the nutrition without adding calories. Pet owners should make sure to read the label carefully when purchasing nut butter, or any other sugar-free product that contains xylitol, including sugar-free gum, toothpaste, yogurts, and other products with no or reduced sugar.
Make sure to check all your labels, and keep your dogs safe!
Want more stories like this sent to your Facebook Messenger inbox? Click here to subscribe.