After her dog got poisoned by an oil diffuser, one dog owner is now warning others through her social media posts about the potential dangers.
On Facebook, Marianne Whyte, from Christchurch, New Zealand, has been urging other pet owners to be wary of using essential oils around their pets, after she experienced a very upsetting incident.
As she wrote, “Saturday night I got home late and my dog didn’t recognize me. Being a nanny I thought I woke him up and he was having a night terror. Sunday, he was still acting weird. I realized that I had been running my new diffuser and decided to turn it off.”
She then added, “Sunday afternoon, he was feeling better. Today at work, my dog sitter said that he wouldn’t come out from under the bed. It was very odd as he is a happy dog. I came from work early and again, he was very confused about who I was.”
Dog Poisoned by the DiffuserSaturday night I got home late and my dog didn't recognize me. Being a nanny I thought I…
It wasn’t until a concerned trip to the vet’s office when Marianne learned that the tea tree oil she was using in the diffuser is actually toxic to dogs.
“Thankfully the test showed that his liver was ok but we weren’t out of the woods yet,” Marianne continued. “He was given fluids under his skin to get the toxins out. The vet and the poison control are saying that they see these cases often now that the popularity of essential oil is growing.”
Article continues below
Our Featured Programs
See how we’re making a difference for People, Pets, and the Planet and how you can get involved!
She is now issuing a very simple warning to other pet owners, “Please make sure that the essential oils you are burning are not toxic for your pets.”
Should you happen to have a diffuser and you’re noticing that your pet is acting strangely, it would be best to get to them to the nearest vet immediately.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →