Like any person, a veterinarian can make a mistake but this mistake is too big to handle. It happened when a Utah family took their dog to the veterinarian and he accidentally euthanized their dog.
Ziggy was rushed to the Davis County Animal Hospital by his owner, Andrea Martinez when he was having difficulty with breathing and keeping food down. According to KUTV, they were told he needed surgery.
The price for the surgery was high but they wanted to do what was necessary to save his life. “He was our baby, it was my daughter’s best friend, my dog’s best friend, it was ours. Money wasn’t an issue,” Martinez said.
Ziggy was left at the hospital and the family was told that the surgery would be over later that night. They were expecting a phone call but when the call came in at 2:30 AM, they received the worst news. They were told that Ziggy died during the operation.
Martinez said the vet “kept beating around the bush about it” and was telling them the news like they “should’ve known,” but he stopped talking when he knew something was wrong.
“Then he got back on there and he apologized and said, ‘I’m so sorry that this happened, we got confused and ended up calling another dog’s mom,'” Martinez revealed.
There was another dog admitted to the hospital at the same time that was also named Ziggy. The dog’s owner gave them permission to euthanize the dog.
When Ziggy was in the middle of surgery, it was recognized that the price was going to be a lot higher. The vet called someone he thought was Martinez to ask if the dog could be put down and he was told yes.
“I just wish we would’ve had the say, I wish we would’ve been able to say we tried everything that we could have,” she said.
Obviously, the veterinarian was mortified with what he had done. He apologized profusely, waived the bill, gave them an urn, plaque and a Christmas ornament with the dog’s paw print.
I love to write and it keeps me busy. I've been working online, full time since 1999.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →