Toxic Cane Toads Are Taking Over South Florida And Putting Pets At Risk

Patios, pools and streets in South Florida are being plagued by thousands of toxic toads due to heavy rainfall.

Florida pet owners need to be on the lookout for the poisonous toad that could kill their pet if they ingest its milky toxin. Dogs that bite, nudge, or pick up one of the toxic toads can suffer from seizures, loss of coordination or even death.

The cane toad – brought to this country to help control the sugar cane pests- secretes a milky liquid when threatened that is toxic to pets.

Photo: Facebook/ Toad Busters

Local animal hospitals are warning residents to watch out for the toads and to be extra careful at night when the toads are most active. During the day the toads will burrow in mulch or shrubbery, so pet parents still need to watch their dogs.

Photo: Facebook/ Toad Busters

Justin Bartlett Animal Hospital posted a photo on Facebook helping people differentiate between a frog and toad. They advise anyone who thinks their dog or cat was poisoned by a cane toad to call your vet immediately.

Photo: Facebook/Justin Bartlett Animal Hospital

Article continues below

Our Featured Programs

See how we’re making a difference for People, Pets, and the Planet and how you can get involved!

Ray the Trapper, owner of a wildlife removal company, told Fox 4, “I can pick up 200 to 300 in an evening, without a blink of an eye.”

Photos: Facebook/ Toad Busters

Toad Busters warns people by posting, “Cane toads are poisonous throughout their life cycle (even as tadpoles). But adults are *most* toxic, due to the amount of poison contained in the larger parotoid glands on their shoulders.”

The warm weather and standing water from all the rain were ideal breeding grounds for the cane toads. Residents have not seen the last of the toads, as experts say that another batch will hatch in 22 days.

Help Rescue Animals

Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free!