Betty White, a lifelong animal lover and legendary actress, would have turned 100 on January 17. Sadly, she passed away on December 31st from a stroke.
She devoted her life to helping animals and making people laugh. Most people remember her as Rose in Golden Girls, but she will always be remembered as a friend and hero to animals.
Her fans decided to celebrate her milestone birthday by giving back to animals with the Betty White Challenge. The challenge encouraged people to donate $5 in Betty’s name to a local animal rescue. She would have been so proud.
Over the years, she openly shared her passion for animals. She loved dogs and had 26 over her lifetime, but she loved all animals and spent a lot of her time and money helping improve their lives.
She had a larger-than-life personality and lived every moment to the fullest.
Check out 10 of her animal quotes below and let us all try to be a bit more like Betty White.
– “When I’m around animals, I don’t pay attention to people.”
– “If everyone took personal responsibility for their animals, we wouldn’t have a lot of the animal problems that we do. I’m a big spay-and-neuter supporter. Don’t have babies if you’re not going to take care of those babies. We don’t need more. We just need to take care of the ones we have. Take responsibility and breathe kindness.”
– “Animals don’t lie. Animals don’t criticize. If animals have moody days, they handle them better than humans do.”
– “My mother and dad were big animal lovers, too. I just don’t know how I would have lived without animals around me. I’m fascinated by them – both domestic pets and the wild community. They just are the most interesting things in the world to me, and it’s made such a difference in my lifetime.”
– “I stayed in show business to pay for my animal business.”
– “I always wanted to be a zookeeper when I was growing up, and I’ve wound up a zookeeper! I’ve been working with the Los Angeles Zoo for 45 years! I’m the luckiest old broad on two feet because my life is divided absolutely in half – half animals and half show business. You can’t ask for better than two things you love the most.”
– “You can always tell about somebody by the way they put their hands on an animal.”
– “Animal lover that I am, a cougar I am not.”
– “It’s a little known fact that one in three family pets gets lost during its lifetime, and approximately 9 million pets enter shelters each year. That’s why it’s a wonderful thing to get your pet microchipped and registered with your contact information because then they can be located and the owners can track where their pets are.”
– “Animals are near and dear to my heart, and I’ve devoted my life to trying to improve their lives.”
Thank you for being a friend!
Check out Betty through the years with some of her beloved dogs and wild animals in the video below.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →