The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners not to feed certain lots of Aunt Jeni’s Home Made frozen raw pet food after samples tested positive for Salmonella and/or Listeria monocytogenes.
“Based on the test results, the Maryland Department of Agriculture issued a stop sale for these products on August 20, 2019, preventing their further distribution. The FDA is advising the public about these products because these lots of Aunt Jeni’s Home Made frozen raw pet food represent a serious threat to human and animal health,” states FDA.
Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes have been the cause of multiple recalls this year.
What Is Recalled?
The frozen products were sold online and through retail locations.
Lot codes to help identify product are printed on the lower right corner of the front of the bag.
The recalled products are:
– Aunt Jeni’s Home Made, Turkey Dinner Dog Food, 5 lb (2.3kg), lot 175199 JUL2020
– Aunt Jeni’s Home Made, Chicken Dinner Dog Food, 5 lb (2.3kg), lot 1152013 JUL2020
Symptoms Of Salmonella In Pets
– diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
– decreased appetite
– abdominal pain
The FDA states, “Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.” If you have fed any of the recalled product and your pet is showing any of the above symptoms, call your vet immediately.
Symptoms Of Listeria monocytogenes
According to Dog Food Advisor, “Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in humans and animals.”
Humans are affected when they touch the contaminated food, so be sure to thoroughly wash your hands. If you have fed any of the recalled product and your pet is showing any of the above symptoms, call your vet immediately.
What To Do
Consumers who have purchased the affected product should discontinue use. Immediately discard of the product and thoroughly wash the area where the food was kept, bowls, utensils, and anything that might have had contact with the food. Also, be sure to wash your hands after handling.
Spread the word to keep our fur babies safe! ☟
Andrea Powell is an animal enthusiast that resides in West Michigan. When not writing, she is exploring the great outdoors with her dogs and horses.
Help Rescue Animals
Provide food and vital supplies to shelter pets at The Animal Rescue Site for free! →